Well, two weeks ago our lives changed forever in an amazing and wonderful way. At 1:01pm on Saturday June 19, 2010 our baby boy, Jake Austen Heacox was born. He was 8lbs 8oz and 20 3/4 inches long.
A few weeks prior to Jakes arrival Brad and I found out that our little man was sitting breech and we would have to schedule a c-section for his arrival. We tried everything we could to get him to turn but the medical options (ECV) and old wives tales we read about (swimming, handstands, lunges, etc) didnt help us. We continued to pray for a miracle but began to accept that Jake would be coming via csection. We knew the only thing that was important is that Jake arrived safe and healthy but i couldnt help but be disappointed by the thought of the csection. Luckily i had a few weeks to prepare mentally and I had Brad to encourage me and remind me of the benefits of the csection. At least we would know exactly when our little man was coming and family could plan to be here. :)
Well, the csection was the most incredible thing. I've experienced surgery many times but never while I was concious. When I arrived in the operating room the nurses sat me up and got me ready for the spinal block I was about to receive. Honestly the spinal block was easy and relatively painless. The most unexpected part of the experience was hearing and seeing the supplies count as the nurses called out 5 scissors, 7 scalpals, 10 sponges, etc.
After the spinal block was administered they had me lay back on the table so they could prepare for the surgery. Oddly enough I could still feel the pinching on my left side but my right side was totally numb. They tilted the operating table to the left so the medicine would spread to that side as well. Within a few minutes they were ready to start. I couldnt feel any pain but I could feel pressure. It was a strange experience. I found myself wondering when my baby boy would be here so I could see him. Soon I heard Dr Donato tell Brad to get ready with the camera and in no time I heard my baby's cry. Emotion overtook me and I filled with pride and joy as I saw his beautiful face.
Shortly after seeing Jake I started to feel faint and i looked up at the monitor to see my blood pressure was at 52/25. The doctors were ready and gave me a few things to fix the blood pressure and soon I was back to normal and overjoyed by the sight of my baby boy in Brads arms. Once the surgery was complete we were wheeled back to the recovery room and they gave me Jake to hold. Words could never adaquately describe the feeling at that moment. I was holding my baby and my amazing husband was right there with me.
The next few hours were quite a blur for me. We went to recovery for an hour or so and then they told me i was ready to go to the post partem floor. Brad went with Jake to get his first bath and I got all settled in my room and changed my gown. Then the family was with us and we were holding our little Jake.
We had many friends and family visit us in the hospital during our 3 day stay. We left the hospital on Tuesday June 22 around 1oam and our lives would never ever be the same again. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment